Tubeless on spokes rims ?

• Hi,

I have heard about some kits that convert spokes rims for tubeless applications.

Have anyone of you used this? Is there a reliable supplier where to buy this? It has enough strength to be used in hard enduro applications? What tubeless tyres are available in an aggressive pattern to replace tube type tyres, like the E09 we are using, and to match the sizes we have on our XT 350s.

I got two flats during the last two rides and managed to reach the garage in time with air in the tubes, but if I was a little bit further the result would be a little different.

Tubeless tyres are easily repaired without removing the tyre from the rim, and requires very small toolkit to carry on for the job.

Let's see if we can get rid of the tubes for good.

• I never tried this, even there are some very interesting, but also controverse discussed systems for use on bicycles.
    One reason, you didnt mention is the problem, to get air into a flat, repaired tire if the tire isnt any more on the rim: a pocket pump as usual wont work, only the small co-cartouches and i dont feel very comfortable to rely on these...
    In all, it seems more secure to me to take a spare-tube along, even though the wheel must be removed to repair.
    where you may find more information about tubeless-systems might be somebody who delivers spoke-wheels for street-(classic-)bikes or from http://www.stahlgruber.de or http://www.rema-tiptop.de.

Mein Nachbar hört gute Musik;- ob er das will oder nicht...:mrgreen:

• Hi Trischer, It's been a while since we discussed last time :D

Yes, the difficulty comes from carrying along the tyre levers, pump or pressurised cartouches, cold patches, and spare tubes. Besides, my bike came with an installed slip-prevention shoe, for running with a low pressure or no pressure wheel. I find them useful, even if never got the chance to use them, yet :lol:

My Mitas E09 are quite hard on the sidewall, and the guys in the tyre shop have quite a struggle to take them off and back on. I imagine myself on a rocky top all alone playing hard with the wheels to see them naked, and it's not nice at all. Never happened and never wish to.

The discution comes at the brainstorming for a trip to the Black Sea and back, as soon as the first warm days are getting here. The trip includes tarmac roads, and rocky plain trails, through the villages of the Delta of the Danube, where it's very possible to get a nail, piece of wire, or a woodscrew into a tyre.

I have seen on a bikeshop here a spray that can "fix" a flat tyre, even in the tube-type wheels, by injecting a self-curing foam into the tube, and when the foam fets into a low pressure environment gets hard and covers the hole... I plan to have one like that with me, but my deepest desire was to convert the wheels into tubeless, and in this case ease the flat service job. Who woldn't ?

• I guess that flat-tire-fixing is as well as other things, a matter of training... 8)
    in my early days of motorbiking I also thought, i´d never get a tire fixed when i saw the guys from the tire-workshop with mit wheels.
    Today I wouldn´t have a problem even mounting a Michelin Dessert with two tire-levers and by hand.
    Ok, that won´t bring you any further.
    There are different fluid-seals available für both tubetype and tubelesse tires.
    You have to divide them into sprays, that are filled in in case of damage (and inflate the tire as well) and fluids, that are used prophylactically.
    Both types work more or less good but in any case have one thing in common: you will have the valve sealed also and theres nothing you can do against.
    I use this stuff in my bicycles and on any type of valve it´s the same. It´s getting better if you put the valve into the 2 or 10 o´clock-position half an hour before inflating or checking the pressure, but even if you do so, you will get problems. Especially the Schrader-Valve (as used on cars or motorbikes) won´t shut proper anymore and you will not find any possibility to clean the valve seat... :(

• I belive you are right, it comes with the exercise. I will get myself a good pair of tyre levers, and the required patches, but together with the emergency sealer spray, in case I am forced by the conditions, I will use the sealer.

But I don't give up. I will keep looking for the tubeless conversion kit.
    I will let you know the results of my investigations :twisted:

• Zitat von adrian

I will let you know the results of my investigations :twisted:

Yessss, do this!
    But first: check out, if there are any tubeless competition tires available.
    Honestly, I ´d have to say, I´ve not a glue, whats the difference between tubeless- und tubetype-tires... :roll:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!