Beiträge von jegr

back from a 10-day camping trip with my XT, no problems at all with the bike when it was fully loaded (around 15kg on the rack) at a 100km/h cruising speed :)

PS: I pushed the bike flat-out to a top speed of a 140km/h (on a digital speedo), this is the max that it would go with a normal riding position and with stock gearing 8) scary? yes! unstable? yes! fun? hell yea! :twisted:

Zitat von TTGeorg

hello!

last week i drove through SLO.
    Skol, Valley of Soca, Kobarid, trough the Forests to Postojna and than to the border to crotia, Rijeka. On my nice old XT350.

greetings

georg

next time you're in Slovenia notify me if you'll have time (or any other of you), we can meet and make a nice tour together :)

I saw a pic of jester's bike, it looks ready for Dakar :twisted:
    I was considering mounting an oil cooler because I transformed my XT into a lightweight tourer and now I'm putting on a few more upgrades to make the bike even better, because selling this bike and simply buying a better one is not an option for me (rare in Slovenia, lightweight, great fuel consumption, great handling, sufficient speed and also first love :) )

So far I haven't encountered overheating problems, although I haven't done more than 250km in one day so far (enough for the bike to get really hot), but I'm planning longer tours (up to 1500km in one weekend, and one 600km-long in a day) in this summer and the high engine temperatures are always on my mind (gets up to 35 degrees and more here in summer).

I use Ipone Katana full synthetic oil, so I've done a bit to help the engine cope with the temperatures already, and I'll also drill vent holes in the skid plate.

PS: I don't smoke :wink:

Those of you who mounted oil coolers on the XT/TT' s, have you had any problems with oil pressure or things like that? Can the oil pump handle the extra distance and volume of oil? And how effective were the coolers?
    I was searching high and low on the internet to find first person experience with oil coolers on these bikes, but there just aren't any :? so I would be very grateful if someone can share his experience with the oil coolers, because I'm planning to install one myself :) if I can get a decent oil cooler (anybody got one and wanting to sell :roll: :D )

Has anyone tried to install an oil cooler on the XT/TT 350? I'm thinking of such modification, it would help the engine keeping a bit cooler in the summer, if it can be done ofcourse.

Zitat von YoKeule

I think the wheel is not the Problem... (Got one ;))

but it would be expensive to send it to Slovenia!

But you can send me a PN then we can talk about it if you want to!

thanks for the offer, but I will have the wheel on the way in the next week or so :) If I will need it still, I will ask you first :)

Because my German is very poor, most of the technical themes on this forum have no use for me. So I ask you, are there any mechanical tips and tricks to improve performance, stability, fuel consumption and so on on the XT and if they are, will someone explain them in English here?
    I will be very glad, and who knows, perhaps I come visit one of your XT/TT Treffen on the next years :)

A small typing error... I meant how high are the milleages on your other road-going XT's on this forum :)

Oh, and one more thing: I need an XT 350 front wheel, the whole wheel without the disk and tire. Has anybody one, for a reasonable price?

Ok great, because I know that single thumpers are not very nice for the lifespan of the chain no matter how good the maintenance is. How high are the milleages on your bike, mine is currently on 37 000km, but I set my mind to reach 100 000km with this bike :D

I had a 19/48 ratio ordered, but because of a problem in shipping I got a stock 19/52 setting. No big problem, the cruising speed of a 100km/h is just fine, I'll change the gear ratio when I need to change the chain+sprocket set.
    How long do your chains last? In normal riding, not off-road?

I don't know how much is a new set of these bags, I gave 30€ for both because they are second-hand, but in perfect condition. It wasn't a problem to get them on, they strap on with two straps on the top, and for support I made a simple steel bracket to keep the bags apart and away from the exhaust.
    I have a question for you other XT owners: how high do your XT's rev and how much are the top speeds? Mine revs to the redline in 6th gear with no problems, but the top speed is no more than 130km/h.

I apologize that it took so long for me to post these pictures of the completed bike here, but finally they are here :) I have made several hundred km with the renewed bike, and it works like a charm with all the new parts and setup, allmost better than when it was new, and I dare to say that this bike will last for another 15 years and reach 100 000km 8)

here are some pics (and friend's GPZ 500 '87)

two new pictures, the bike is coming together and it's about 80% done, but I still have a lot of things to sort out, and also I encountered some minor setbacks like a leaking oil line and a burned-out regulator for the indicators :x

Zitat von Etti

Dammit! Looks great! I´m impressed. What kind of paint did you use on the plastic parts? Looks at least from afar as if that stuff will stay on the plastics.

Shit, I considered myself immune to "beauty improvements" but that matte black´s going to make a real looker.

Keep it up and post some pics after final assembly.

to tell the truth I don't have a clue what type of paint that is, but it flexes with the plastic parts so the paint doesn't crack. I painted the frame and some other parts myself, but the plastics were done by a professional because I didn't have the balls to do them myself :oops: