Top-end revision

• Welcome to the club!
    New oilpump with custommade steel sprocket, new piston and machining the cylinder sleeve, with the head were going to get expensive.
    Take out both valve seats and reweld the material of the head around the seats including the sparkplugthread.
    Then renew the thread for a C-sparkplug with 10mm-thread instead of the 12mm of the D-Sparkplug as near as possible to the inletvalves an put in new valve seats made of "rotguss" (don´t know the english expression).
    Valve guides made of GBZ-12 and on it goes...

"Fahren Sie viel!"

• Sounds great, but where do you get all of these? (URL's?)
    Especially the oilpump sprocket is interesting. Rottguss seems to be a slang word (translated it says: rot casting, but I think you mean red brass?)
    Why do I want a C sparkplug?
    A Wiseco or JE piston is going in there, smallest one

Certified Lunartic ©®™

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Baffo (26. August 2005 um 11:14)

• Yes, red brass doesn´t sound to bad...
    The C-sparkplug has smaller diameter so that you will be able to place the sparkplug more far away from the hot exhaust-vave area. If you just mount new valve seats, that, usually are a bit bigger in diameter than the original ones, you can remove the head within 3-6months again to weld the crack between the valve seat and sparkplugthread... :cry:
    In tihs area, there are some difficulties: the valve seats are not very good pressed into the cylinderhaedmaterial, the heat is only badly carried away between the both exhaust- and the frame-tube/-s and the valve seats are to close to the sparkplug.
    So, if you use a smaller sparkplug, you can remove it out of the "danger-zone" and flesh between valveseat and sparkplug is getting more...

"Fahren Sie viel!"

• While a TT350 has bigger inlet valves so even less distance between plug and seats. But I will have a look at it, tnx.
    If anyone has URL's for the things to buy, that will be a great help.

-edit-
    right inlet valve has lot of oil residue, so the valve seal was leaky, also it did not move smoothly in the valveguide, but does not look warped. But very likely that this valve would stay open a lot of the times. (had to hammer it out)

Certified Lunartic ©®™

• Zitat von Baffo

While a TT350 has bigger inlet valves so even less distance between plug and seats.

Yes, thats right, but on the intake-side it doesnt matter that much because the valves and even the seats are cooled by the fresh gases during the exhaust valves and seats are heatet up by the hot gases.

"Fahren Sie viel!"

• Brought cilinder and cilinderhead to the shop yesterday that will check and replace, valves, valeguides, valveseats, helicoils exhaust and boring/honing the cilinder.
    Today received the Wiseco, now wait for the dichtungsatz so they can go to work.

Certified Lunartic ©®™

• Small-end question: Who knows what the (radial) clearence between piston pin and small-end of an XT 350 (55V) should be?
    TT or other models also welcome (250, 500, 550, 600 etc)

TT yamaha service manual states:
    Check free play
    Free play -> inspect connecting rod for wear.
    Wear -> Replace connecting rod and piston pin

Clymer states:
    Small End Free Play -limit- 0.8mm

Garage says 0.6mm play exists now and 0.4mm is a common limit for small-end piston pin clearence (or did he say hundreds and not tenths...)

Clymer XT/TT600 states even that -standard- play is 0.8mm ...
    But I think that that is side play/movement.

BMW 1100 specs:
    small-end-Ø mm 22,015...22,025
    Radial play mm 0,015...0,030
    limit mm 0,06

Certified Lunartic ©®™

• Yeah, you're right, I know I have to change the connecting rod. But because shifting was a bit difficult also I'm looking for those pieces secondhand now.

Certified Lunartic ©®™

• I've discussed that, but first of all the outside of the small-end is too smal to do it properly, and this conrod is already 15 years old, so brandnew original is good enough.
    Lastly, I've seen broken conrods after a bush was installed, because of wrong milling (angle?)

Certified Lunartic ©®™

• Zitat von nachtigall

Welcome to the club!
    New oilpump with custommade steel sprocket

2 days ago I opened up a TT350 1TJ engine, and it had steel oilpump sprockets, I had only one thought when I saw those: "Mine !" :)

Certified Lunartic ©®™

• What engine do you have ?

XT or TT ?

because...
    If it's a XT,
    I mean that the oilpump sprocket from the TT won't fit to the XT engine.
    Nachtigall means that you should rebuilt the plastik sprocet into a steel sprocket. (Or not ??)

Gruß,
    Peter

Gruß,
    Peter

Nur im Lexikon kommt Erfolg vor Fleiß.

• You are right !
    oilpump 14 theeth on both of them
    but pump idle gear is XT:20 and TT:21
    clutch gear is XT:17 and TT:16
    Cluth drive XT:72 and TT:70
    and thus also all the other sprockets (crank, etc)... :cry:

Certified Lunartic ©®™

• 1 kick starter ! :)
    The bike/engine overhaul has been completed and am now 'breaking' it in. I was astonished that it ran with one kick only, although I had taken it apart completely (3 kicks would have been nice)
    Rode 100km today, with a 15 minute break every hour, tommorow I'll ride an 180km route, a bit boring 70km/h@4000rpm but it'll be all worth it :lol:

Certified Lunartic ©®™

• Well, carb settings should be improved but cannot put it on a dyno right now. Anyways, will buy a IDS2 soon and then go on the dyno twice, 1 time with the 17 inches for top-end power and 1 time with the TKC's for torque. With the supertrapp I can easily make the changes then.

And here are breaking-in ride pictures:

http://westerbaen.tweakdsl.nl/xt350/inrijden1.jpg
    http://westerbaen.tweakdsl.nl/xt350/inrijden2.jpg
    http://westerbaen.tweakdsl.nl/xt350/inrijden3.jpg

After the 3rd (tomorrow) I can go up to 5000rpm, after a fourth up to 6000rpm and then oil change, valve clearance check again, and retighten the cilinder/head and can really start using the bike again

Certified Lunartic ©®™

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!