xt 350 motard

• hello, I'm new here,

I bought an XT 350 in 1985, which I am converting to a motard.

i find the XT 350 a nice bike, I bought it just for the fun thanks to this forum i got a lot wiser and I have some things to resolve.

After a partial revision of the engine, I started with the conversion.

I bought a 1987 yamaha fz 600 from a donor engine.

it's going in the right direction, I've read that not everyone on this forum thinks this is a successful idea

I will try to show some pictures

greetings wachter

Grüße aus holland

• Daag Wachter and welcome here !

There, you have started a nice project.

Does the front wheel fit , or have you changed s.th. ?

What about the (new) rear wheel ? :P

Gruß,
    Peter

Nur im Lexikon kommt Erfolg vor Fleiß.

• the frontwheel and brakes etc are comming from the fz 600 i bought for parts.
    only the fork legs are from the xt, they have de same diameter (36 mm)
    i put the fork legs into the fork end of the fz 600 so the wheel and brakes are all of the fz, i have double disc brakes on the front.
    the rear wheel is also from the fz, i am now drawing a bracket for the rear wheel so the wheel and discbrake wil fit.
    on the foto you can see the rear wheel, bracket is on now and the chain is in perfect line with the front sprocket

i also put in a xt600 shock absorber

i kept al the parts so i can build the xt back if i want.

Grüße aus holland

• yes, it is fun to do.

this is a picture of the donor bike.

i bought this bike for € 200,-

i am selling the remaining parts on the internet.

this is going well, the wheels and frontfork are for free now

gr wachter

Grüße aus holland

• this is picture of what is will look in the end.
    without the chain guard, but this will be replaced when the bracket for the rearwheel is made

i might buy an other xt 350 for spare parts, i am looking around.

there will be some spare parts left, if i can buy the bike.

Grüße aus holland

• I have the bracket of the rear caliper on machined 6.1 mm, this was necessary because the rear of the XT is smaller than that of the FZ 600.
    Now I can fit it and the caliper mount, the mount of the torque arm has yet to be welded to the rear as the base of the brake cylinder on the frame.

Who can tell me how much slack the chain should have?

greetings wachter

Grüße aus holland

• this is what it look when al the smal details are done
    the xt 600 rear suspension gives it a good look

i wil have to put some new tyres on it because the one's that are on it now are old and hard.
    my battery was empty so i could not start yet.
    maybe i will replace the battery for a condensator as i have read here on the site, because it is my second bike (i drive a bmw k75 to work every day) the battery will not be charged every day.
    but in the summer the bmw will have a break.

i still have to work on the chain tension.

gr. wachter

Grüße aus holland

• Hi Wachter,

if the bike doesn't start, the fail isn't the battery.

The engine should also run without a battery.

To take a Kondensator (50 V/10000µF) is possible to reduce the weight of the bike.
    If you fall down (will hope not), then there flow no battery-liquid out.

Gruß,
    Peter

Nur im Lexikon kommt Erfolg vor Fleiß.

• Beautiful, just plain beautiful. I like it a lot and I personally think this will be the perfect city bike! Though the German TÜV would most likely have a major seizure when presented for street-legalizing it :) I sure hope the Netherland authorities take that less serious :)

Pretty cool - and as Don Pedro has already mentioned - should right start without a battery. Ignition is not depending on a working battery (though the rectifier is really (!) needing either a battery (flat is O.K.) or a condenser being present!).
    XT´s are known to starting pretty hard when old fuel is present in the carb´s float bowl. You might wanna drain that old gunk out of the carbs and try again with fresh fuel.

Have fun and keep us posted.

1985 XT350 55V
    Simply change the gravitational constant of the universe!

• peter,

if the bike starts whitout a battery why do you need a condensater.
    the weight is no problem for me, its feels like a bicycle compared to my K75.

the has not run for a month or two.
    so i will just have to keep trying to start it.

etti,
    thanks for the compliment.
    in holland we dont have a tuv for motorcycles, i dont even now why we shout have one.

i will try to start him again and if it won't go i will drain the carbs,

gr wachter

Grüße aus holland

• The ignition/CDI is charged directly by a seperate coil in the generator assembly. The battery has absolutely nothing to do with the ignition power generation. That´s why XT´s (the 350) do start even without a battery present.

But the regulator/rectifier assembly, namely the diodes, need a capacitor of some sort to flatten out the voltage spikes generated by the coils. These voltage surges can reach up to 80 Volts, unfortunately far too much for the poor diodes. They quit their service pretty quick and you need to replace the regulator/rectifier afterwards. That´s not cheap :(

That´s why I said that even a dead battery is perfectly O.K. since even the most flat battery provides enough capacitance to remove the voltage spikes from the generator coils. Remember: A battery is nothing else than a capacitor with of course sginificantly higher capacity than a "regular" capacitor, but a capacitor none the less.

No TÜV for bikes in the Netherlands? Holy shit, I sure would like to live there if it weren´t so far away from Bavaria :)

1985 XT350 55V
    Simply change the gravitational constant of the universe!

• etti,

in holland we have APK, only for cars every car older than 3 years should be checked every year by a garage with certificet.

on the one hand we have les rules on the other we may have more.

Grüße aus holland

• yep!

it is running, checkt the fuel transport, blow thru the fuelfilter and it started.

runs great, now yust finisch the rear break, i will show a foto when it is done

gr wachter

Grüße aus holland

• i tryed to make the diverence visable

i got a foto from internet and put the foto of my below, my xt is 9,5 cm shorter because i have a 16 inch front wheel in stead of a 21 inch.

Grüße aus holland

• Are these smaller wheels heavier or lighter then the original ones? I fear your motard might look stunning, but these fat tyres are going to outbrake the comp. weak engine?

Sure a TÜV-engineer-killer-machine...

MS

Gegen Wegwerfianismus!

• MS

the weight of the xt rear wheel is 13,3 kg, of the fz is 16,2 kg excl. rear brake caliper this is 0,9 kg.

so the diverence is 3,9 kg at the rear, the front wheel of the xt is 8,5 kg the of the fz i dont know, but problebly about 2 kg heavyer.

the weight diverence in total wil be about 8 kg against a standard xt

Grüße aus holland

• Zitat von wachter

trischter

my german is limited Sad , google doesn't translate wel, so i dont exactly understand the tekst below.

Ausserdem find ichs schice, dasses hier zu mehr oder weniger dem gleichen Thema zwo Freds gibt.
    Kann Rolf das nicht irgendwie mal zusammenlegen?

Was just because of the two threads with the same topic and the question if the two threads could be merged into a single one.

Mein Nachbar hört gute Musik;- ob er das will oder nicht...:mrgreen:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!