XT powernow

• This technology has been done on WR 400 - 450s to improve their pickup - or torque, since the airflow is faster at half and below throttle opening.
    I intended to use CB 750 carburettors to go away with the secondary Yamaha CV-carburetor, but unfortunately the Honda-carb-battery ( the four set cut into half) is too wide.
    However, I am still interested in two ( twin-) slide-carbs for my TT 350 and believe you should not use this system with the original CV-carburetor, but two slide carbs only.
    Looking forward to your posting!

• Even with a CV carb the effect will be the same, I cannot see a reason not to use it there. Also 3/4 throttle will have effect btw.
    I have emailed mikuni for a twin flachschieber carb set, but they say they do not have that and would not be possible (probably due to the small space between the two carbs while each of them is 76mm wide (TM24 and TM28) and the distance between the centers is 66.5mm) So I'm now thinking of a Y-inlet piece to combine the two and put something like a single Flachschieber for a Suzuki DR350S or similar... someday :)

Certified Lunartic ©®™

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Baffo (8. August 2005 um 18:06)

• Hi baffo,

first of all: nice work!!

I took a look at various websites concerning the "powernow" topic.

Two questions:
    1. are you going to modify the outlet ends of the carburettors too?
    2. do you intend to drill the extra hole (I saw it several times)??

I am very interested in your results testing it!

Good luck!

Der Rentnerblitz

55V (1986-55Tkm-derzeit im Wachkoma - 1989-34Tkm-derzeit 10Tkm/a)

"lieber mit ´nem langsamen Mopped schnell fahren, als mit ´nem schnellen Mopped langsam"8)

• Well on the CV carb you already have a sort of powernow plus, the flap/valve which you move. And because this has to be bonded I'm not thinking of one at the other side. Also because of the space I had to leave between the end and the slides themselfs I doubt if an extra hole will make such a difference, mine is not very wel made as it is a first. Maybe I will take them in production and let them be made with lasercutting technique from Stainless Steel. We'll know tomorrow if the bonding/glue was the right one and if there is a (significant) difference in torque

Certified Lunartic ©®™

• Glue/bonding is ok, and especially around 5.000rpm there is a significant difference, below maybe also but beacause of the 19/55 sprockets and the 17inches I might not feel that. Very fun bike :D

Certified Lunartic ©®™

• You wrote:
    "Maybe I will take them in production and let them be made with lasercutting technique from Stainless Steel."....- let me know about it and I will order a set!

• i´m wondered

what the hell is it for a screw on the left .......... (i dont know the englisch word)

i marked it on the following picture

schrauben drehn, muddern drehn

• Hi zusammen,

Benni: das sind wohl nur Kartons zur richtigen Positionierung der Bleche, so dass sie nicht am Schieber (slider) streifen.

Baffo: ok, I understand the hole, but what are the additional cuttings good for?
    To easier bend the metal??

Then: is there a chance to do an after/before comparison?

Thanky for an answer and keep on trying!

Der Rentnerblitz

55V (1986-55Tkm-derzeit im Wachkoma - 1989-34Tkm-derzeit 10Tkm/a)

"lieber mit ´nem langsamen Mopped schnell fahren, als mit ´nem schnellen Mopped langsam"8)

• Zitat von Benni XT350

i´m wondered
    what the hell is it for a screw on the left .......... (i dont know the englisch word) i marked it on the following picture

That screw is with wich you screw the plate from the arm to the slide/schieber itself if you take it apart for changing the needleheight for instance.
    And yes those two pieces of thick paper I use for distance to the slides (they are from tobacco roling papers, not too thin, not too thick) So yes they were removed before starting :)

Certified Lunartic ©®™

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Baffo (9. August 2005 um 19:55)

• Zitat von Rentnerblitz

Hi zusammen,
    Benni: das sind wohl nur Kartons zur richtigen Positionierung der Bleche, so dass sie nicht am Schieber (slider) streifen.

Thats right, although the slides can have a lot of play, so you could end up pressing them up one side, with karton etc, and then when trying to use it, they still would touch each other (hope not though), also you want to place the powernow as close as possible up to the slide, otherwise you can get a downdraft wind from that space

Zitat

Baffo: ok, I understand the hole, but what are the additional cuttings good for?
    To easier bend the metal??
    Then: is there a chance to do an after/before comparison?
    Thanky for an answer and keep on trying!

The extra cuttings were in the design in the first place, but left them out with my first try, and yes now that I have cut them out, bending the flaps was easier.
    Before/after would have been best on a dynojet/dynostar, now I only have my own feeling to tell me (and you all) what it does.

Certified Lunartic ©®™

• wow
    my carburator dont have such a screw.

i change the needleheight by changing the height of the clip on the needle in the slide...

well, i think its doesnt matter

greeds benni

• Zitat von Benni XT350

wow
    my carburator dont have such a screw.
    i change the needleheight by changing the height of the clip on the needle in the slide... well, i think its doesnt matter greeds benni

Bizar, because the left carb is a mechanical one, the other one is a constant vacuum carb, the mechanical one has the arm attached with 2 screws to the slide, maybe u just changed the needle height of the CV?

Certified Lunartic ©®™

• Zitat von Baffo

Bizar, because the left carb is a mechanical one, the other one is a constant vacuum carb, the mechanical one has the arm attached with 2 screws to the slide, maybe u just changed the needle height of the CV?

exactly this i ment
    but nevertheless, the described screw i cant find on my slide...

maybe, you have a newer one.
    my xt is a 85´

• What the hell you guys find on your bikes... Screws, no screws and everything...
    I´d have the chance to check the powerNows on a dyno (before/after) but I´d have to carry the bike to a friend of mine a few hundred kilometers away.
    It´s more likely an affair for somebody living in the Rhein-Main-area.
    On the other hand, my friend is at different races/motorcycle-meetings all over germany on the weekends with the dyno, so that everyone could do the check with his/her bike if he/she has two identical carburators with and without the PowerNow and can change it between the runs on the dyno.
    Really the best way nevertheless would be a dyno-run with the carburator original, then put the PowerNow into and return to the dyno again a few days later.
    Anyway: if somebody´s interested to do so, send me a PN and I will try to manage a date for that.

"Fahren Sie viel!"

• OK, with the new/improved powernow thingies, the difference is now noticeable at ~4.000rpm, it really takes of.
    Also because of the shape of the slides I think the CV carb has the most advantage because the underside is flat.
    And what is 4000rpm, would that be half for the left, and 1/4 for the CV carb...
    O and btw, my XT350 is a 55V from 1990, and my previous was also a 55V from 1986, and every other 350 I changed the settings from, all have this hole and screw (all 55V's)
    2nd btw, I made the things out of 'blik' which would be tinned thin plate-steel

Certified Lunartic ©®™

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!